Thursday, January 8, 2009

Art or torment...

My 5yo saw a picture in the local free advertising rag showing a silver-plated jungle gym at the Shuunan Art Museum. He wanted to go. Not being the best reader of Japanese, I told him I thought it was art, but we'd ask Daddy when he got home. Well, Daddy read the article and not only is it ART, but it's small art, the size of a pizza box.

Have you ever tried to reason with a 5yo who is filled with disappointment? I tried humor, "Hey, we'll shrink you to two inches tall and you'll be the perfect size." I tried empathy, "Gosh, it's really a bummer that the cool looking playground is really just some twisted artist's way of tormenting small children."

In the end, my son took the article and ripped it up into confetti sized pieces. In the process, he also destroyed the article about the fire station festival in the next town over. And the ads for beauty clinics and laser skin resurfacing. And where to pawn your silver, gold or platinum. I guess if you are an artist and want to stir your viewer's emotions, you'd count this as a success. Otherwise, it's just another lesson in "things ain't always what they seem."

1 comment:

Jack said...

Alex, this little piece by itself is a whole scene in a book. When will you listen to me? Happy New Year. I'm just back from Boston where I spent fifteen days with daughter and family. Kids are great.