Thursday, December 16, 2010

The opposite of white space...

My word of the year has been white space. Yes, I know that's two words.

I am currently living in the opposite of white space. If I was motivated, I would take a picture of the pit of despair that is my home. The movers come next Monday. This week, I have helped remove from my condo: a washing machine, a bookshelf, an oven, a sofa, bunk beds, a home theater system, boxes of books, dishes, clothes and toys. And yet, strangely, my home still has waaaaaay too much crap in it.

I am plugging away at it, but honestly, I think the packers are going to come on Monday and take a look at my condo and do a lot of teeth sucking. They are going to blink and in that polite, indirect Japanese way ask me if there is someplace that they can work.

The ironic thing in all this is that 3 years ago yesterday, we moved into this place. And shortly thereafter, got our big shipment of stuff out of storage. I feel like someone hit the rewind switch and instead of unpacking, my life is going in reverse and I'm walking backwards and putting the stuff back in the boxes.

Which might also explain the lack of brain cells going on. This week alone, I have managed to forget my child's backpack, leave my purse in the car overnight, and walk off without teaching materials on several occasions. Obviously, my cranial rewind is causing data loss.

White space, black hole. Yin and yang?

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I hope you keep writing once you get back to the States, since we are looking at an eventual return to America after what will be several years abroad and I am wondering what we are in for. That said, you have not inadvertently given me reason to be happy we don't really have our own space here, something I'm forever bitching about, and therefore haven't had the opportunity to collect too many things, like a condo and appliances for instance. I am forever complaining about still living out of bags, but that might just make our eventual departure that much easier. That said, I might be in denial about all the books I've bought and ordered in effort to keep us all feeling cozy her in a foreign country. I wish you luck and cannot imagine, no actually I can, the stress you are under.