Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I had a house in Seattle...

In my best Karen Von Blixen, or at least Meryl Streep's version of her, I find myself saying, "I had a house in Seattle." It comes to me at the weirdest times, this vague mourning of my former life and lifestyle. I can be brushing my teeth and I'll look up at the circular fluorescent light and think, "wow, that is so, NOT, a skylight." Of course, since we live on the fifth floor of a ten floor condominium, it would be quite disconcerting if I suddenly could see the full moon through a bathroom skylight.

I also just thought I heard our hot water heating system clicking on. We had radiant wall heat in our house in Seattle and one wall would make a clicking sound as the hot water started pumping through it. It startled me to hear the same sound and at the same time I was nostalgic for central heating since I sleep in a room that is 52 degrees these nights.

Time for me to go brush my teeth and shiver under the covers and dream of American style comforts.

1 comment:

Jack said...

It's good to see that you're still introspective. Are you writing detailed pieces about your new life experiences?