Thursday, January 10, 2008

Mind like pudding...

Started the new year off thinking that I will embrace my spirituality and cultivate a mind like water. You know, the whole "if a lake is still, you can see everything in it and reflected upon it."
Instead, I've embraced the "mind like pudding." I see nothing and my thoughts are a mindless confectionery goop.

I've taken to wallowing in self-pity from time to time. Okay, I admit it, quite frequently these days. We have the condo, but I still have no husband in the evenings and I still have way too many boxes to unpack and no place to put things when I unpack them. I want furniture. Of course, I got a free couch from my aunt-in-law, and the best thing I can say about it is that it was free. If I were truly zen, I would stop here and not slander the couch and the taste of the person who picked it out, but I can't resist a good snark. It is an army green pleather sectional couch from the late 80's. It also smells like incense and mildew. I must remind myself, "gift horse, gift horse..."

My mother-in-law is also trying to help with the decorating. If she had her way, everything would be flowers and puppies. I've taken to stereotyping my whole country and telling her that Americans don't like cute things. So far I've limited the design damage to a calendar with puppies and kittens, a bath mat shaped like a small dog and a flowered kitchen mat. I'm hoping that one of my sons will destroy one or all of these things so that I can remove them from my home.

No comments: