Sunday, March 15, 2009

How I spent my morning.

This is not some fabulous blog about an outing with my 2yo. It's not even a rant about the everyday problems that I face as a foreign mom in Japan. No, it's about a "time suck" and how you can look up and realize that you've gotten nothing done and your 2yo is still watching the Japanese Disney channel which you meant to turn off after a reasonable 30 minutes of English language preschool programs.

Let me back up. I have iGoogle as my home page. I have various RSS feeds which include the Washington Post, Weather Underground, and People magazine. People is my secret addiction. I used to only read it at the dentist's office in Seattle, but I have yet to find a Japanese dentist that I trust, and even if I did, I doubt they would have People in their waiting room. So, I click through an innocent enough link to a blurb about Charlie Sheen's new twin sons.

I scan the article, and I remembered that he had two daughters a few years back with ex-wife Denise. But he has a 23 year-old daughter? Huh. I google her name and find an article about her and it leads me to Wikipedia about Charlie Sheen. I scan that article and find a link to a controversy he had about 9/11. I click on the footnotes and find a video of Charlie's dad Martin Sheen talking about how WTC building #7 was brought down using explosives and how it had to be planned in advance.

Up until this point, I was just curious and thinking, "Wow, crackpot Hollywood actors and their messed up lives." And that's when I get sucked into a website called http://www.ae911truth.org/
And I start reading. And I realize that it may not be so crazy after all. And when you realize what organizations had operations in WTC7 you think, I really hope that there is no truth to it, because it would mean the painful 8 years under Bush were even more horrible than I thought.

And so, I closed the browser window and took my 2yo out for a walk and to the supermarket to buy stuff for dinner. I fed him his lunch. I put him down for his nap. And I sat down to blog. And part of me is a little worried that someone is tracking my ip address and putting my name in a file somewhere. And the other part of me is worried that I've watched too many conspiracy theory movies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Be afraid, very afraid...