Tuesday, March 24, 2009

End of the school year

It's the end of the school year here in Japan. The new school year starts next week for my son. Gotta love that long spring break. Ha ha ha.

DS1 is in hoikuen, or day-care preschool. He is currently a nen-chuu, which is the 4-5 year old class. Next week he will be a nen-cho, which is the the equivalent of American kindergarten or 5-6 year olds. Here the nen-cho year is attached to either hoikuen or youchien (regular preschool), not to the elementary school. It always blows my Japanese friends' minds when I tell them that DS1 would already be an elementary school student if we were still in Seattle.

I have one more year of leisurely mornings and getting him to preschool by 9:00 a.m. Next year at this time, he will have to be out the door by 7:15 and I'm dreading that.

No comments: