Monday, May 17, 2010

Self comfort

I think women have a particularly hard time finding appropriate ways to comfort ourselves. You hear about eating disorders, mommy martyrdom and self-neglect.

Today I took a "me" day. Not a spa day, not a girls' night out. (Which I would gladly do, but the logistics of organizing something like that tire me out.) No, I recognized that I am tired and worn out and I need a little self-love.

I got my boys out the door to school and preschool. I shopped for food and picked up the Tuesday bargains at Jusco. I came home, put groceries away (mostly), and checked my email. I was tired. I got to bed after midnight, DS2 wet his bed at some dark hour and climbed into bed with us, DS1 decided to join the party and my alarm clock went off at 6:30. I was tired.

I decided to take a nap. Not prep my class for tonight, not clean up the kitchen, not fold the laundry. So I closed the curtains and tried to shut down my brain and the lists that kept multiplying in it. It worked, I dozed. The doorbell rang, a delivery for my husband. Curse him.

I gave up on the nap and started reading "How to Talk so Kids Will Listen..." DS1 and I have been in a lot of pissing matches lately. Reading it is a little bit of self kindness so I can stop hating myself after every interaction. The phone which never rings, rang twice. ARGH!

I closed the curtains again. Took a 30 minute nap. Took a shower. Made myself a pastrami and cheese sandwich. (Not impossible to make in Japan, just requires strategic shopping)

And I feel good about myself. I'd still like to stuff my face with chocolate rather than drinking a glass of water. I still have all those mental lists to cross off, but I'm not as tired and they don't seem impossible now.

No comments: