Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Random thoughts on Seattle drivers

I saw a woman driving her car today with not one, but two, poodles in her lap. Okay, maybe they were some other fluffy white dog, but still, she was driving while distracted. At least she wasn't on the highway.

I was behind a man in a Buick on the highway yesterday. I assumed he was a grandpa driver who was looking through the steering wheel to drive since his head was barely visible from behind. He was going slowly for the interstate. I passed him and realized that he was someone chilling to the rap music with his seat all the way back and extremely reclined. And yes, I could hear the music as I passed.

As someone who usually has one or the other child in my microvan, I am paranoid about folks who take driving so casually. I don't want you to be texting, talking, grooming or bonding with your pet when you are driving near me.

Having said that, I have built in Bluetooth and it has gotten a work-out in the last few months. I have had multiple phone conversations with our real estate agent whilst driving my children to various activities. I know research shows that hands-free does not equal distraction-free. The ironic thing is that I often make my kids observe radio silence while I am trying to park or navigate some weird lane confluence that the Seattle DOT has come up with. Hypocritical much?

And completely unrelated to all this: it was a beautiful winter day in Seattle today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Alex...It's been too long since I've looked in on your blog.

I hear similar words from my wife about lack of appreciation -- especially from certain teenage boys.

Hang in there.

Joe

Unknown said...

Oh...and speaking of driving. I now sit in the passenger seat with our learning 15 1/2 year old!! I'm SO attuned to distracted drivers now!!