Wednesday, November 7, 2007

My first blog

It was inevitable that I would start a blog. Considering that I've been writing in notebooks and sending emails for the last few years, it's the next step. First, let me explain Zenbei. It's a play on words. Most people know the concept of Zen. My life is hardly zen-like. Just ask my sister who watched me still trying to clear out my 2400 square foot house only hours before I got on the plane to Japan. It is my hope that relocating my family to rural Yamaguchi prefecture in Japan will be the start of a new enlightenment. Then there is the "Bei" part. Bei is the Kanji character for rice. It is one of the ironies of Japanese that the character that represents America is
rice.

So zen + bei = meditative American.

In case that is too clever, you should know that my first choice for a blog name was Squid on a Stick, but it was taken. There is also another part to the name. A senbei (not zenbei) is a rice cracker. Since I' m living in the Japanese equivalent of Georgia, I thought I should pay homage to all the crackers in my life.

I hope to post more soon.

No comments: