Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Smog

After my whirlwind tour of all shopping spots in Seattle, I'm back home in Hikari. I'm proud to say that my two bags were just under the 50 lb per piece limit. This is an accomplishment since I bought books, clothes, honey, candy, Emer-gen-c, decaf tea, etc.

Why honey? Because, in Japan, most honey comes from China, and therefore must be avoided. Yes, I have adopted the Japanese dislike for all Chinese food items. Maybe I do this because of the recent potsticker/pesticide scandal that sickened over 100 people. Maybe I do this because I look out my window and can't see the islands one mile away because of the smog from China. I could blame the local factories, but even they can't be responsible for a haze that thick.

So, I lugged back two bottles of 100% American honey. Along with half-price Valentine's candy to rot the teeth of my son's preschool classmates. Long live American capitalism.

No comments: